Going through labor and delivery is hard work, no matter how you do it! Even if this isn’t your first birth, you still need to prepare yourself not only physically but mentally as well. That’s where birth affirmations come in!
When giving birth, your mindset is everything. But really, your mindset plays an essential role in your everyday life!
If you consistently tell yourself that you can’t do something, it makes it a little harder to achieve what you wanted. But, when you use positive self-talk and honestly believe in yourself, you can accomplish amazing things!
Below, you’ll find everything you need to know about birth mantras, in addition to 30+ inspiring birth affirmations to get you going.
What are birth affirmations?
Let’s start with the meaning of affirmation. To affirm something means to state something as a fact and to encourage emotional support.
When you use birth affirmations, you state positive facts about yourself and your birthing process to help you keep an optimistic mindset.
When you are in the middle of labor, it can be easy to lose your thoughts in the contractions. Birth affirmations help to remind you that you are confident and capable of getting through labor and delivery, just like many women before you.
30+ Positive Birth Affirmations
- This is the best birth possible for my baby and me.
- I trust my instincts.
- I am present. I am doing this.
- I CAN do this.
- I am surrounded by support and love.
- I feel confident, safe, and secure.
- Nothing lasts forever. This, too, shall pass.
- I breathe deeply, and I am calm.
- My delivery team only wants what’s best for my baby and me.
- This is the day we’ve been waiting for.
- My baby trusts me, and I trust the process of birth.
- My baby is finally coming, and that brings me joy.
- I am flexible and open to suggestions for change.
- Birth is powerful. I will let it empower me.
- I am strong and capable.
- Birth is magical, no matter how it happens.
- With each deep breath, I feel better.
- I am fearless.
- Every set of contractions brings my baby closer to me.
- I am proud of myself.
- I believe in my body.
- The ability to give birth is a gift.
- I can do this because I AM doing it.
- I can do anything for ten seconds. Count to ten. Repeat.
- Pain is part of the process. I know it will be over soon.
- I welcome surges. I don’t fight against them.
- I have all of the strength I need.
- I can’t go around the pain; I have to go through it.
- The pain of a few hours brings the beauty of a lifetime.
- I am stronger than I ever imagined.
- I have a voice and a choice.
- I was made to do this.
- Each wave of contractions has a purpose.
How To Use These Affirmations
The first step in using birth affirmations is to choose the phrases that resonate with you. Any expression that inspires you and makes you feel confident is a keeper!
Then, you will want to have your chosen affirmations in a physical form to have with you during labor. I suggest having a physical copy of the birth affirmations because you will want them easily seen and accessible.
One way you can have your birth affirmations with you is to print out our list of affirmations above. Then, you can go through and highlight or circle the ones you liked the most.
Another fantastic way to have your birth affirmations easily visible is to write them largely on paper to put in your labor and delivery room. If you get the okay from your hospital, you can tape your affirmations to a wall in your room. That way, when things get rough, you can look up and see your reminders that you can do it!
The last tip for using your birth affirmations is to go over them with your partner. If your partner knows what mantras you want to use, they can repeat them during hard contractions.
Why are birth affirmations important?
Birth affirmations are important because they benefit every mom! It doesn’t matter if you want a natural birth, a medicated birth, or you are having a C-section. Birth affirmations help to keep you calm and in control of your emotions.
And there you have it! I hope you found many birth affirmations to help you through your labor and delivery! Just remember; however your birth experience goes, you will always look back on that day with fondness and love. After all, it’s the day you got to meet your baby!
Before you go, check out these related posts:
- Postpartum Essentials You Won’t Want To Forget
- What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag For Labor
- How Many Diapers Do You Really Need In The First Year?
- How To Make The Best New Mom Care Package
- The Best Tips For Having A Baby On A Budget
Which birth affirmations are your favorite? I would love to know in the comments below!